Karaya is a material utilised in Ostomy provides these types of as pores and skin limitations and powders, but what specifically is it, and why is it applied?
Karaya, or “Karaya gum” is a vegetable-centered all organic solution derived from the comfortable Sterculia urens tree indigenous to India and Pakistan. The karaya gum is generated by amassing the gum by eradicating bark or drilling holes into the trunk of the tree.
Regarded as harmless and non-toxic, Karaya is employed in a lot of solutions ranging from food emulsifiers, adhesives, laxitives, dentures, lotions, and of training course, ostomy provides.
The finest, purest healthcare grade Karaya gum is distinct to white in coloration and can also occur in powder kind. From a chemistry standpoint, Karaya will soak up h2o promptly and varieties a “gum”. It can absorb as significantly as 100 moments its fat in h2o. With better concentrations of water, Karaya varieties a gel or paste that can be utilized to easily and securely easy out rough or uneven skin.
Why is Karaya utilised in ostomy materials?
Normally, you will discover Karaya possibly as a powder or applied to pores and skin obstacles/wafers.
– Helps Reduce Bacterial Infections: – Karaya has chemical characteristics to enable minimize bacterial adhesion, the identical factors that make it terrific for denture adhesion.
– Assists Irritated and Sensitive Skin: – Irritated skin is a typical affliction to the skin all over a colostomy or illeostomy stoma, and Karaya’s one of a kind chemical attributes allow it to develop a protective gel around the impacted pores and skin and absorb excess dampness. This guarantees the skin is protected prior to attaching a barrier and ostomy equipment to the pores and skin. This is also great for individuals who might have delicate or fragile skin that does not accept artificial skin barriers.
What variety of Karaya ostomy materials are available?
– Karaya Powder – Powder is used prior to working with a pores and skin barrier, frequently for irritated skin to provide as an additional layer of defense from micro organism bacterial infections and to keep the skin from even further discomfort thanks to the adhesion of the new barrier. When applying the powder, it will take up moisture from the pores and skin to build a sticky and mildly adhesive “gel”. Powder is offered in little puff bottles that make it quick to utilize evenly.
– Karaya Paste – A karaya paste is applied to the pores and skin to assist stop irritation as very well as aid sleek out irregular skin surfaces when an Ostomy equipment is used. The pores and skin is protected from leaks by the organic hydrocolloid Karaya gum. The pastes are generally marketed in squeeze tubes.
– Karaya Pores and skin Limitations – Skin boundaries with normal Karaya serve a lot of of the exact same added benefits it allows avert pores and skin detrimental organisms from increasing on the skin and provides some overall flexibility and convexity in the barrier, permitting it to conform to irregular stomas, flush stomas, or skin folds. Also, retain in head Karaya pores and skin barriers are only mildly adhesive so it truly is likely that a tape border is needed for a strong adhesion.