Table of Contents
Having straight teeth is aesthetically significant and can help maintain good oral hygiene, reduce the risk of tooth decay or loss, and enhance your confidence.
When it comes to undergoing a cosmetic dentistry treatment for teeth straightening, many people opt for Invisalign.
It is a popular orthodontic treatment for treating teeth misalignment due to the aligners’ discrete nature. Moreover, people love the fact that they can remove these aligners before eating, thus eliminating the requirement of any food restrictions.
Some might think keeping them clean is no big deal since Invisalign aligners can be swapped with a new set within a few weeks.
However, brushing teeth regularly but not aligners is like wearing dirty clothes after a shower. Uncleaned Invisalign aligners are a breeding ground for bacteria, causing plaque buildup, increased risk of cavities, and bad breath.
Therefore, the best Invisalign dentist recommends cleaning Invisalign properly to maintain oral hygiene and health. Read on to learn the why and how of cleaning Invisalign.
Understanding an Invisalign aligner and its unique needs
Invisalign aligners are the best-suited orthodontic treatment option if you want to straighten your teeth without the discomfort and visibility of metal braces.
Invisalign retainers are composed of smooth, transparent, and flexible plastic material. This medical-grade material is almost invisible when worn on natural teeth and is free of harmful chemicals. Therefore, these aligners are safe and comfortable for the patients.
Moreover, the best Invisalign dentist fits the custom-made Invisalign aligners based on your unique teeth impressions.
The uniquely designed aligners provide an ideal fit to your natural denture and gradually move them into the desired position over time.
These disposable plastic trays are replaced every few weeks with a new set designed to shift a patient’s teeth into the right place.
Remember that Invisalign aligners are designed to be worn for at least 20-22 hours daily. Also, take them out when eating or drinking anything except water. Furthermore, cleaning and maintaining aligners for optimal results is crucial.
And don’t forget to visit your dentist for professional dental checkups and cleaning whenever recommended.
Why is it important to clean Invisalign?
A professional dentist highlights the importance of cleaning Invisalign to prevent the following discussed dental problems:
Failing to clean the Invisalign aligners regularly can make them discoloured and stained. It can leave stains if you don’t remove the aligners when having red wine, coffee, spaghetti sauce, or anything else with artificial colour.
Thus, your aligners might look yellow or brown instead of clear, defeating the purpose of discreet teeth straightening treatment.
Uncleaned aligners can develop a foul odour in your mouth that can be difficult to remove. It can further lead to bad breath and other dental problems.
Ensure to get your teeth professionally cleaned before or during Invisalign Treatment Warriewood.
Without regular cleaning and maintenance, Invisalign aligners can harbour harmful bacteria. The bacterial buildup further causes gum disease, cavities, gum irritation, tooth decay, and other oral health problems.
How to take care of your Invisalign aligners?
Establishing a regular Invisalign cleaning routine
Regularly cleaning Invisalign aligners is vital to good oral hygiene and health. By cleaning aligners consistently, you can prevent bacterial growth, plaque buildup, foul odour in the mouth, and thus, oral health issues.
Moreover, establishing a regular Invisalign cleaning routine will ensure the success of your teeth straightening treatment.
Here are the steps that you must follow during your Invisalign Treatment Warriewood to keep your aligners clean and free from harmful bacteria:
- Rinse your Invisalign tray with lukewarm water before brushing them to remove any food particles or debris.
- Take a soft toothbrush and a mild natural antiseptic or antibacterial soap. And use them to gently brush all areas of aligners, including the inside surfaces.
- If your aligners harbour a suborn plaque buildup, you consult your orthodontist to know the correct cleaning procedure or get them replaced.
Using the right Invisalign cleaning products
Using the right Invisalign cleaning products is essential to maintain the quality and effectiveness of your aligners.
Make sure to choose gentle and effective cleaning products with no harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage Invisalign aligners.
Below listed are some products you can use to clean Invisalign:
- Natural antiseptic to get rid of bacteria and plaque buildup on aligners.
- Soft-bristled toothbrush to gently scrub the Invisalign trays while reaching all surfaces.
- Cleaning compounds or crystals designed for Invisalign aligners to eliminate stubborn plaque buildup.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals like bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or alcohol-based products. These chemicals can weaken your aligners, discolour them, or cause gum irritation and allergic reactions.
- Avoid using abrasive materials such as vinegar or baking soda as they could scratch the aligners’ surface and create spaces for bacteria accumulation.
The role of regular dental checkups in Invisalign maintenance
Along with a consistent Invisalign aligners cleaning routine, you should regularly go for dental checkup and cleaning. Regular dental checkups are essential to check whether your teeth and aligners are healthy and treatment is progressing as planned.
- A qualified dentist will monitor the teeth straightening treatment progress and make necessary adjustments for proper teeth alignment.
- The dentist will examine your Invisalign aligners and identify whether there are any issues or damage requiring attention.
- The dentist can guide proper Invisalign care by recommending the right cleaning products and techniques.
- Regular checkups can prevent potential oral health problems like gum disease or tooth decay.
Common mistakes to avoid when cleaning Invisalign
The following mentioned are some common mistakes that you should avoid when cleaning your Invisalign aligners:
- Using hot water to clean Invisalign trays.
- Not brushing or flossing teeth before putting aligners again.
- Not soaking aligners in the cleaning compound as suggested by the dentist.
If you look forward to successful and efficient teeth straightening treatment with Invisalign aligners, properly clean and maintain them.
Neglecting proper care of your aligners can lead to dental issues, damage the aligners, and reduce the treatment’s effectiveness.
Moreover, regular dental checkup and cleaning is suggested. The qualified and skilled orthodontist can guide you through a consistent cleaning routine and recommend the best Invisalign cleaning products.